Right now, I have a few posts written about my experiences during medical school interviews that I’m dying to put up. But due to a newfound paranoia of the AAMC info chain, I don’t want to post anything that specific yet, since someone could conceivably — improbably, but conceivably — recognize something I wrote about, and it could actually affect my admissions status. So I’m going to wait on those.
But it’s also probably quite unclear as to just what my admissions status is, so I’m going to try to answer that.
In the fall I applied to a number of schools, and was asked to interview at three of them: Relatively Okay School, Medium Prestige School, and Top Tier School. Medium Prestige is in my current city of residence, the other two are in the same general geographic region but several hours away.
- I really liked Relatively Okay, and was accepted by them a few weeks after my interview.
- I also really liked Top Tier, and was subsequently waitlisted.
- And I didn’t really like Medium Prestige, and their admissions decision is pending.
I recently decided that, despite my (much-documented) earlier hesitation about medical school, I do really want to go. It’s a combination of things, and I wouldn’t know how to sum them up, so let’s just say I have concluded that I will indeed be attending medical school. Somewhere. I would just like to know where.
A slight further complication to matters is Guy. I started seeing Guy just a few months ago. I don’t want to jinx it or anything, but we click extremely well. So much so that he said he didn’t want it to end if I had to leave for medical school, and that he would even consider moving to the locations of Top Tier or Relatively Okay if I ended up going to them. But that he would love for me to stay at Medium Prestige so that we could just keep living where we are.
Guy, and my waitlisting at Top Tier, are the reasons I considered re-applying to medical school rather than entering this year. Guy suggested that there are medical schools in another geographic region that he would be extremely happy to move to with me, plus then we would have been together for a more reasonable amount of time to even consider moving with someone. (Yes. Guy knows that right now, it would be a somewhat unreasonable amount of time to move just for me.) However, I didn’t apply to any of those schools last year (I wanted to, but didn’t get around to it), so … there would be no chance of my being accepted there unless I re-applied.
I found out it would be a bad idea to re-apply, and that puts me back at square 1: taking into account Guy, the assorted prestiges of schools, and their locations, where the heck am I going to go?
… Of course I might just get rejected at Top Tier and Medium Prestige and the whole thing would be solved.